Header Menu

Friday, April 6, 2012

50) Welcome to the Jungle by Jim Butcher

The Blurb :

When the supernatural world spins out of control, when the police can’t handle what goes bump in the night, when monsters come screaming out of nightmares and into the mean streets, there’s just one man to call: Harry Dresden, the only professional wizard in the Chicago phone book. A police consultant and private investigator, Dresden has to walk the dangerous line between the world of night and the light of day.

Now Harry Dresden is investigating a brutal mauling at the Lincoln Park Zoo that has left a security guard dead and many questions unanswered. As an investigator of the supernatural, he senses that there’s more to this case than a simple animal attack, and as Dresden searches for clues to figure out who is really behind the crime, he finds himself next on the victim list, and being hunted by creatures that won’t leave much more than a stain if they catch him.

My Thoughts :

So I am taking part in a Read-a-thon this weekend and decided to start things off with a graphic novel that has been gathering dust on my shelf for a while. I haven't visited the world of Harry Dresden for a long time and I really need to catch up with the series some day but this prequel to the series in graphic form was a nice little look back into the life and magic that is Harry Dresden.

The story and plot are as good as you would expect from this well established author and series. It can't be easy writing a graphic novel and the author himself explains in the book that it was hard work. So I have to give the guy huge credit for pulling it off so well! It was well written and with the help of the amazing artwork it was a treat to read.

What can I say about the artwork? Well Harry didn't look like I imagined and Murphy as well but to be honest the artist just captured the series so well that I didn't care. The action stood out, the magic shined and the story felt more alive if that is even possible.

Definitely a must read for any fans of the series. I may look into getting more of these graphic novels so I can revisit the series a little.

No comments: