Header Menu

Saturday, September 19, 2015

93) Ripple of Secrets by Denise Grover Swank


The Blurb :

After her assistant DA boyfriend’s near brush with death, Rose Gardner hopes to make it through the holiday season with a minimal amount of drama. But she can’t forget the promise she made to the king of the Fenton County underworld in exchange for Mason’s life. What’s worse, she’s not the only one keeping secrets—Mason has been working on a hush-hush case in his private time, Joe is grappling with the sudden reappearance of his sister after a mysterious two-year disappearance, and Hilary continues in her single-minded quest to secure a commitment from Joe at any cost—for motives only she understands.

Though peace and quiet is all Rose wants, it’s the last thing she’s liable to get. And the ripple of secrets in her life threatens to create an undertow that will endanger her and everyone she holds dear.

My Thoughts :

Yes I know!  I only just finished listening to book six in the series and shouldn't even be thinking about Rose Gardner for another couple of weeks but this between the numbers novella was begging me to read it and I wanted something quick to read today.

I am not a huge fan of short stories.  Especially from this series.  Usually they are a rehash of what just happened in the previous book from different perspectives.  While they usually offer some slight insight to the feelings and actions of various characters the story always feels like a waste of time.  However Ripple of Secrets offers some extremely important information and introduces a new character.  This novella is one that needs to be read before moving onto book seven and I am glad I took the time to read it.

The different perspectives are sometimes a little confusing but it is nice to see things from Mason's side as well as Joe's.  Also taking the reins this time around is Hilary.  A character I can't stand.  Although after reading this short story and finding out more about her past it is hard not to suddenly feel confused about how I feel about her.  Do I respect her?  Pity her?

This is one of the aspects of this series that the author has really managed to get me hooked on.  The characters.  I have built up feelings for them and there are so many unanswered questions.  I want to see how their lives continue and what happens next.  The cliffhanger ending in this short story only makes me want to listen to the next installment straight away.  It also makes me extremely happy that I am following this series in book order.

Another great installment and while it was only short, Ripple of Secrets, really packed a punch or two.








Amberkatze's Book Blog



No comments: