Header Menu

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

114) Murder at Redwood Cove by Janet Finsilver

The Blurb :

Bed, breakfast…and a body!

If it weren’t for the fact that she’s replacing a dead man, Kelly Jackson would love her new job managing the Redwood Cove Bed and Breakfast on the coast of Northern California. But Bob Phillips did plunge off the cliff to his death…and Kelly’s starting to think it may not have been an accident. Bob’s retired friends—The “Silver Sentinels”—are also on the case, especially when Kelly is attacked…and another body turns up. Kelly has her hands full with overseeing the B&B’s annual Taste of Chocolate and Wine Festival, but she’s also closing in on the killer…who’s ready to send Kelly on her own permanent vacation…

My Thoughts :

Murder at Redwood Cove caught my eye due to the lovely cover and I really knew I shouldn't even request a copy because I already have way too many review books on my pile.  However I like to give new authors a chance and am always interested to see how the writer has tried, and maybe managed, to make her cozy that little bit different.  There are already so many cozies out there and it seems to me that at some point the 'theme' is going to be one that has already been done.

So what was the twist this time around?  I can't really decide.  A bed and breakfast murder mystery isn't anything new and someone coming to take over for the manager isn't a long shot and was plausible.  Actually there wasn't anything overly special or memorable about this mystery that made it stand out from any others I have read.  Although on saying that it was still an enjoyable read.

The murder mystery was interesting enough and I had my suspicions about a certain character from the beginning and it turned out that I was right to be wary of them.  The story and characters were nice, the story quick and easy, there wasn't much I can give fault to but this was still missing that little something to make it stick out.

I will be checking out the next installment when it comes around.  Just because this one was a nice easy read.  While at first I thought I would get confused by all the different characters, I found that it was easy to keep up with everything and liked the concept of the close knit community and Silver Sentinels.  The Bed and Breakfast was a nice location and Kelly was a lovely leading lady.  I finished the book with a smile and look forward to going back to stay at Redwood Cove some day.







Amberkatze's Book Blog


No comments: